Awesome Gamers Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Awesome Gamers Group

These forums are for any game(s) run by C Thomas Hand including L5R, 7th Sea, D&D, so on and so forth.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shadowrun // Savage Worlds Style // Character Creation

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MrFeldspar
Nikutai
Nikutai

Shadowrun // Savage Worlds Style // Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Shadowrun // Savage Worlds Style // Character Creation   Shadowrun // Savage Worlds Style // Character Creation EmptySat Mar 04, 2017 11:07 pm

Version 1.0 // 4 Mar 17
Alrighty, here goes. See character creation rules listed below. Try them out and let me know if we need to make some edits!

1. METATYPE
HUMANS
Humans of the Sixth World are about the same as the Humans you are used to seeing, though for whatever reason, Lady Luck tends to smile on them more than the other metahumans. Suppose that’s a great reason to live in Vegas, eh?
Adapt & Overcome: Humans have a greater capacity to adapt to their circumstances than the rest of metahumanity. You receive any Novice Edge for free, provided you meet all of its prerequisites.
Lady Luck’s Bestie: More often than not, dicey situations tend to go your way. You receive the Luck Edge for free.

ELVES
Grace and beauty are the purview of the elves. Taller and thinner than humans, they’ve also got pointy ears, but you probably already knew that. Even those that hate elves are hard-pressed to resist their charms.
Ethereal Grace: The members of this Metatype are particularly lithe in relation to their counterparts. You begin with a d6 in Agility.
Exotic Beauty: Elves have an aura about them that the other Metahumans can’t seem to resist. You gain +2 Charisma.
Low-Light Vision: Elven eyes are better than Human ones.  Just how it is, folks. Elves ignore penalties for Dim and Dark lighting.
The Sniffles: Possibly the only downside to life as an elf, your constitution struggles against poison and disease more than the rest of Metahumanity. Elves have the Anemic Minor Hindrance.

DWARVES
Certainly the shortest of the Metahumans, but best not bring that fact to their attention.  They don’t like it.  They do always make me think of Winnie the Pooh though … “I am short, round, and I have found - speaking poundage-wise - I improve my appetite when I exercise.” Just thought I’d share.
Clumsy: The downside of the stout frame is that it’s a little harder for dwarves to become acrobats. Agility requires two points per step to raise during character creation.
Infravision: Much like the Predator (from the movie Predator, obviously), dwarves can see thermal wavelengths. Dwarves halve penalties (round down) for bad lighting when attacking living targets.
Mountain Man: Sure, they’re small, but they are stocky.  Dwarves begin with a d6 in Strength and +1 Toughness.
Short Legs: Dwarves are short and their Pace is 5.
Stout of Heart: The shortest Metatype, for some reason, has a knack for being strong-willed. Dwarves begin with a d6 in Spirit.

ORK
Bigger and meaner than all the other Metahumans, with the obvious exception of Trolls. Orks have a lot of bulk, they’ve got tusks protruding up from their lower jaw, and they are known for making some hardcore death metal. Don’t expect them to win a spelling bee anytime soon, but I wouldn’t tease them about that. They mean.
It’s What We Do: Orks are the poor man’s troll … or something. Either way, Orks begin with a d6 in Strength, a d6 in Vigor, and gain +1 Toughness.
Low-Light Vision: Orks have eyes as good in darkness as elves, but that doesn’t mean they are as easy to get lost in. Orks ignore penalties for Dim and Dark lighting.
Ork Face: Not trying to be rude, but they look like those guards from Jabba’s Palace. Orks have -2 Charisma.
The Sharpest Tool: Orks start out life a little slow on the uptake, but eventually they can come around. Smarts requires two points per step to raise during character creation.

TROLL
Let’s talk about trolls. Somewhere between eight and ten feet tall, thick scaly skin, massive arms, giant horns coming out of their heads. Holy shit. They’re so big, and usually so scary, it’s probably best to just always be on their good side.
Big ‘n Tall: Trolls are 9’ tall in a world built for everyone who isn’t them. They have a Major Hindrance where all of their Lifestyle Costs are doubled.
Hulk Smash!: Trolls are really good at breaking stuff.  They begin with a d8 in Strength.
Hulk Smash?: Trolls aren’t known for what’s between their ears. They can never raise Smarts above d6.
Infravision: Of course they can see heat signatures, because why not? Trolls halve penalties (round down) for bad lighting when attacking living targets.
The Bigger They Are: Even when you’ve got guns, it’s not easy to bring a troll down. Trolls begin with a d8 in Vigor, +1 Toughness, and +2 Armor from their literal thick skin.
Troll Face: Most folk don’t like you. I don’t like you, either. Trolls have -2 Charisma.

2. TRAITS

Use the standard Savage Worlds Deluxe [p16] rules for Traits, Skills, and Derived Statistics.

Some ideas for Knowledges include MegaCorps, Security Procedures, Underworld, Locations (The Strip, Downtown, The Sprawl), and Languages.

3. EDGES & HINDRANCES

Honestly, I’d rather not go through every single Edge and Hindrance to pick out the ones that are pertinent to this game, so let’s do it like so. You go through the Savage Worlds Deluxe and the Science Fiction Companion books and find ones you like, and we’ll discuss how they can fit into our game.

I will elaborate a tiny bit, though. If you want to be a Mage, take Arcane Background [Magic], and if you want to be a Technomancer, take Arcane Background [Psionics], and we can talk about the rest.

4. GEAR
Prioritize your Gear selections from the Science Fiction Companion, especially for your Firearms (see Slugthrowers), because your choices are streamlined in that book and it’ll make life easier for everyone involved.

1. Starting Funds are $5,000.  This figure will be especially important if you choose to have additional starting funds in Step 3, either with your points or selecting the Rich Edge.
2. Some items of Cyberware can instead be purchased as Bioware, meaning it is a vat-grown biological addition to your body instead of metal and circuitry. The GM has final say on what equipment can be purchased as Bioware. Bioware imposes only 50% of that item’s listed Strain, but it requires an additional 100% in funds.
3. The Geared Up Edge (Science Fiction Companion) grants $20,000 instead of the listed $10,000.

5. BACKGROUND DETAILS

Here’s where you take your character from a list of numbers and abilities and turn her or him into a vessel to craft amazing stories with your friends. The more fun you have in this section, the more fun we will all have in the game. Also, I’ll likely drop some extra XP or abilities on you for making it exciting!

I’m still working on the setting details, so I understand if it’s difficult to build a robust background for your character. That being said, here are some of the basics.

Las Vegas, 2070, is broken into three main areas: The Strip, Downtown, and The Sprawl. For now, all characters will be residents of The Sprawl.

The Strip. Glitz. Glam. Gambling. The Strip is where the elite hang out. The decadence in The Strip is legendary across North America. For fuck’s sake, the place is in the middle of the desert and they keep it a balmy 75* all year round! How? Oh, did I not mention the place is encased in a giant translucent dome so they can augment how much sunlight gets in (and it helps keep unwanted air traffic out).

Downtown. This area feels most like your typical 2070 city. Tall buildings, lots of corporate activity, maybe an arcology or two. Between Lone Star and MegaCorp security, this place is locked down pretty tight. I mean, I’m sure all kinds of white collar crime goes on, but not so much of the run ‘n gun variety.

The Sprawl. There are a lot of neighborhoods, districts, whatever you’d like to call them, in the Sprawl - but as a whole, it’s a massive expanse of mostly substandard living conditions. There’s not a lot of wealth to be seen in the residential parts of The Sprawl. People are packed in wherever they can fit, which more often than not means right on top of each other. It’s an area all aglow with neon, and Stuffer Shacks on every corner. You can get by in The Sprawl, but not a lot of folk would call it “living”.

6. EXTRA STUFF

So Part Six isn’t actually in the Savage Worlds Deluxe rule set, but we are going to be adding just a few things, so I think it’s worth covering them here.

CONTACTS
The core Shadowrun game includes building Contacts with your XP. These Contacts are NPCs you create that are anywhere from clients or acquaintances to old friends or family members. Not only can these people help facilitate storytelling, but they can have mechanical advantages for you and your team. I’d encourage everyone to craft at least two Contacts for your character.

No need to build them like a character, just tell me who they are, how they know your character, and what they are good at, that kind of thing, and we’ll see what happens from there.

LIFESTYLE
Apart from running the shadows, your character has a place to live (maybe), eats and drinks (most likely), and sleeps (I hope so). All of these details are round up and shoved into a category called Lifestyle. It’s how we can simplify all that stuff.

While a decent portion of Lifestyle is geared around Roleplaying, it will have mechanical implications as well. You decide you live on the Street to save money? Cool. Expect me to roll randomly to see if you get robbed while unconscious, or maybe you start a day with a level of Fatigue because of bad weather at night.

On the flip side, if you spring for a nicer lifestyle, you can expect to gain bonuses in certain situations where it would apply. Say you have the High Lifestyle, and you want to take a Contact (or a mark) out to a fancy dinner to impress them. Go for it. It’s assumed you can cover the costs of the meal based upon your Lifestyle.

LIFESTYLE (COST)
STREET (¥0)
SQUATTER (¥500)
LOW (¥2,000)
MIDDLE (¥5,000)
HIGH (¥10,000)
LUXURY (¥100,000)

Cost is a per-month cost, just so you know.

Reputation is important to a Shadowrunners. It reflects your ability to get a job done and how people interact with you for negotiation rolls on payment, favors, etc. All characters start with 0 Reputation. When a run is successful, all characters gain +1 Reputation. If it goes extra well, you’ll get +2. On the flip side, failing a run will be -1 Reputation, and failing horribly will be -2.

While there is no limit to the amount of negative Reputation you can earn, your positive Reputation is capped at 5 points per Character Rank. In other words, no more than 5 Rank for a Novice, 10 for Seasoned, and so on.

QUESTIONS FOR YOU
1. How did your character come to be a resident of The Las Vegas Sprawl?
2. What does he or she do there when not Shadowrunning?
3. What is a goal your character would like to accomplish within our campaign?
Back to top Go down

Shadowrun // Savage Worlds Style // Character Creation
Page 1 of 1