Awesome Gamers Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Awesome Gamers Group

These forums are for any game(s) run by C Thomas Hand including L5R, 7th Sea, D&D, so on and so forth.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

(Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TheDiddler
Admin
TheDiddler

(Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill Empty
PostSubject: (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill   (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill EmptyMon Oct 12, 2015 1:32 am

Usagi Kinotu was not entirely certain why he was here. He stood outside the Imperial City, to the east of the Scorpion's Yunagi District, facing the Emperor's great forest. Nearby, seven heimin servants of the Chisei District Governor felled tree after tree in what Kinotu thought he understood to be a blasphemous breach of the Emperor's Law.

A shadow fell upon the ground beside Kinotu and he did not have to turn to know to whom it belonged. Doji Kurotema, the cunning Governor in question, radiated a presence that Kinotu could have felt anywhere.

"Do not concern yourself with their work. As the ruler of the Chisei it falls to me to oversee the beautification of the District and the Ekohikei as a whole. I have passed most of this work to Ejio, but this task I take upon myself." Kurotema's strong jaw clenched tight into what Kintou assumed was supposed to be a smile.

"The Emperor's forest requires pruning back upon occasion and the Hantei prefers to see the wood go to good use. I will have artisans fashion these trees into a new skiff for the personal enjoyment of the Hantei's young son, Sotorii."

Kinotu could only nod, still uncertain as to why he had been called so far from the city to watch peasants cut down trees.

"You and I are not much alike, Kinotu-san," Kurotema said. "Though you are of a minor clan, you were raised as a son of a lord. I grew like a weed amid the backwaters of southern Doji lands. But each of us share a trait in common." Kurotema turned to look Kinotu squarely in the eye.

"Purpose." Kurotema smiled and turned back to the treeline.

"You have a purpose, perhaps more than one, and I see in your actions that you will not allow anyone to stand in your way. You will not let honor, nor glory, nor lack of station or wealth, push you from your path. And neither will I."

The conversation grew silent for a time and Kinotu heard the wind whispering through the tall grass about him. Was this some bonding experience? Some strange attempt of the Chisei lord to reach out to another? What...

"Did you know," Kurotema cut off the Hare's line of thought. "Kakita Foruku spends a great deal of time near these woods. In fact, at the end of every winter he departs the Imperial City along the exact same route. I am uncertain as to where he goes, but he always travels this path, into these woods, and ventures towards the coast."

Kurotema took a step forward and turned around, now facing the Imperial City. He looked at the setting sun behind the great outer wall. His disturbing smile made Kinotu realize that these words were far from casual. Without looking at the Hare, he continued.

"Purpose, Kinotu-san. I have the great vision of increasing the Crane's lot within the Imperial City, within the Ekohikei. I seek to improve the worth of the Sentaku itself. It is my goal to make the Emperor's bureaucracy stand for something again, to be worthy of his attentions. Instead of the bickering and backbiting confluence that exists there now, in my vision I see a structure worthy of the Akodo."

Kurotema took a step forward, shoulder to shoulder with Kinotu. It struck the Hare for the first time since meeting the man just how large a presence he seemed to possess. He was not big, not physically, but something about him felt gigantic.

"Foruku travels these roads in the same way, at the same time, each year. And he does not come back quickly. Sometimes he is gone for a month, perhaps two."

Finally, Kurotema turned to look Kinotu in the eye. "The forest can be quite dangerous, especially in the spring."

Back to top Go down
https://awesomegamersgroup.forumotion.com
Ghesh
Nikutai
Nikutai

PostSubject: Re: (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill   (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill EmptyTue Oct 13, 2015 4:55 pm

Kinotu crossed his arms and observed the heimin at work,"I don't believe I've ever had someone describe me with such accuracy before, but perhaps that is because you can understand more than most my motivations. I was once a man of just pure survival. This city and your guidance have provided me with a purpose other than just living into the next day. I am thankful for the support and confidence you have given me over the course of these many months." Kinotu meant every word he said. He had certainly gained a most unlikely ally in Kurotema.

Kinotu looked at the ground and scratched his chin in thought. "Foruku-sama certainly has a peculiar yearly ritual. Since the forest can be dangerous, does he realize the danger and take a guard with him for protection? If not, I have a suspicion as to why. In either case I could use the blessing of Koshin to scout out the area in the woods ahead of time. I certainly wouldn't want the Crane representative to run into any problems on his journey. It would be wise to see where he is going and/or staying if he were to get lost and a search party had to be sent to find him. If something unfortunate were to happen to him, it is safe to assume that Daidoji Aidogo-sama will fanatically try to be a part of the investigation due to their history. I, as a magistrate, would be quite concerned about the bias he will bring to that situation which could be very destructive and distracting. Of course, this is all hypothetical. my training in the Koshin's Blessing Dojo stresses thinking ahead and anticipating as many variables as possible. This mentality is starting to blend into other aspects of my train of thought."

Kinotu turned to observe the beautiful sunset that fell upon the city,"I share your opinion of the current makeup of the Tribunal. I know that the Crane enjoy having a majority of power on the Tribunal for the district, but I would like to see a stronger Minor Clan representative that would be pushed around less by the other Tribunal members and be able to better support the Crane representative against the other representatives. There is too much infighting and the 'purpose' of the Tribunal has been lost. It will take men of purpose to make things as they should be. The darker side of the Sentaku will resist change. That in of itself shows where some of their weakness lies. They see the change coming, and they have already started to lash out. They seek to divide and conquer the forces that will combine to bring them to light. The change will take the light, the dark, the sword, and the fan to succeed. The board is set and the pieces has been chosen. They have placed the first stone..."
Back to top Go down
TheDiddler
Admin
TheDiddler

PostSubject: Re: (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill   (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 6:01 pm

Kurotema watched the Hare as he delved into his detailed diatribe about his dojo and methodology. After a while, he glanced back to the forest and smiled.

“Aidogo is not an Emerald Magistrate. Nor does he have any jurisdiction out here. As far as Lord Foruku, it strikes me as oddly naïve that he never travels with much in the way of protection. At best, a guard and the odd geisha girl who accompanies him so often. Perhaps he trusts that the regions around Otosan Uchi are protected from the dangers of the wild. Thus far,” Kurotema looked squarely into Kinotu’s eyes “his assumption has been correct. I wonder if that will always be the case.”

Kurotema turned away from the forest and began walking back towards his palanquin and entourage.

“As far as the Sentaku are concerned, it seems these days they have many enemies to account for. Not the least of which is Kitsune Sojin.” The Doji governor stopped as if an idea had just occurred to him. “Did you know that there are many on the Sentaku Tribunal who speak of requesting the resignation of the Mondai Ketsu commander? Rumor has it that his methods touch too closely upon their own maneuverings. Yet, to remove him would require a clear majority of the 8 Sentaku Tribunal members.”

Kurotema looked up at the distant walls of the city, speaking aloud his thoughts.

“Now, I know the Crab seat stands firmly against removing Sojin. As does the Fox, of course. Of the rest, I cannot be so certain, but I do know this.” Kurotema turned once more to eye Kinotu with a hard and knowing look. “The two Crane Tribunal members always speak as one and Kakita Foruku, despite all his glories, dislikes Sojin. It is unfortunate that he will still be in a position to remove Sojin come the spring.”
Back to top Go down
Ghesh
Nikutai
Nikutai

PostSubject: Re: (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill   (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Kinotu watched as Kurotema walked off,"I wonder as well if the woods will stay safe forever. This unsettling weather this winter may be a sign of change around the Imperial City. It would be a shame to lose such a devout servant of the Son of Heaven that is Kitsune Sojin. Perhaps the fortunes will smile upon his predicament and grant the Tribunal the wisdom to keep him as the leader of the Mondai Ketsu. Perhaps new thinking will be the beginning of that wisdom. I wonder where such inspiration will come from..." Kinotu looked Kurotema straight in the eyes at the last statement.
Back to top Go down
TheDiddler
Admin
TheDiddler

PostSubject: Re: (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill   (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 2:13 am

Kurotema smiled, but Kinotu could see it was only teeth.

"Traditionally, the Governor of the Chisei also serves as the representative for the Crane on the Sentaku Tribunal. Foruku and I having separate jobs is...aberration."

Kurotema turned and looked to the east.

"If I had his position, Sojin would not be removed."

Finally, the Doji Governor looked squarely back at Kinotu.

"I trust we understand one another?"

Back to top Go down
Ghesh
Nikutai
Nikutai

PostSubject: Re: (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill   (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 4:56 am

Kinotu smiled back at him,"I believe we do. I assume you will let me know when Furoku will be making his yearly trip? I wouldn't want to disturb him by accidentally meditating in the woods at the same time as his venture into the woods. May good fortune follow you in the months to come." Kinotu bows and awaits for his lord to dismiss him.
Back to top Go down
TheDiddler
Admin
TheDiddler

PostSubject: Re: (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill   (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 2:55 am

Kurotema nodded and responded in an off-hand manner.

"You will be the first to receive notice of when he travels. I will send a trusted runner as I doubt I will have time to write it down." Kurotema began to mount his horse.

"I hope I have not misjudged you, Kinotu-san," the Doji governor turned to look directly into the Hare's eyes one last time. "Reward comes to those who succeed. One need only look at Kaiu Metsumoto to see what happens to failure."

With that, Doji Kurotema spurred his horse forward and began to ride back for the city. He left Kinotu alone at the edge of the wood to ponder the future and the spring.

CLOSED SCENE ON GM PART
Back to top Go down
Ghesh
Nikutai
Nikutai

PostSubject: Re: (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill   (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 10:50 am

Kinotu quietly whispered under his breath,"You have not misjudged me. You are one of the few that haven't. I welcome the rewards to come in Spring." With that, the Hare rose and raced off back to his dojo. Time grows short and he must make the appropriate preparations.

END SCENE
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill   (Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill Empty

Back to top Go down

(Kinotu) The Quiet Use of Skill
Page 1 of 1